|New York Synagogue Spreads Welcome on Thanksgiving|
|Early Sunday morning, Charlie Blank and Jenn Corker set off to meet a family of Afghan refugees. A halal turkey sat in a cooler on the back seat. Together, they went to the supermarket to stock up on Thanksgiving essentials.
|How We Move Forward Together For Refugees|
|It’s going to take all of us, working harder than ever, to make sure refugees still feel welcome in this country. It is up to us to ensure that the U.S. remains a place where families fleeing war and persecution can find safety and dignity.
Read our post-election thoughts here.
|Former Refugees, Now Voters, Embrace Democracy|
|“We became refugees in the first place because there was no democratic process, no freedom. So how can you stay in your house and say your vote doesn’t count?”
Read their story.
|Interfaith Advocates Rally Finance World For Refugees|
|As the child and grandchild of refugees, Hussein Allidina and Greg Sharenow founded the Interfaith Refugee Project to engage their peers in the financial industry, raising funds from donors and corporate foundations in support of refugees.
Take Action: Sign a message of welcome and solidarity today, and we will deliver it to recently-arrived refugees who might need a message of support.
HIAS Welcome Campaign: 220+ congregations across the U.S. have stood up in support of welcoming refugees! Is your synagogue on the list?
HIAS in the News
- Mark Hetfield Named to Forward 50 – The Forward’s list of Jews who impacted American life in 2016 includes HIAS President and CEO Mark Hetfield.
- Refugees Enjoy Early Thanksgiving Meal – Fox 29 News in Philadelphia covers a Thanksgiving celebration held by our local partners, HIAS Pennsylvania.
- Syrian Families to Resettle in First State – Delaware Public Radio story on HIAS’ plans to begin resettling refugees in Delaware, in partnership with Jewish Family Services there.
- Mormon Church Pledges $200,000 to HIAS to Help Resettle Refugees – JTA highlights a recent gift from the LDS church in support of HIAS’ resettlement work.
- Round-Up: Refugees Find Welcome In Sukkahs – HIAS sukkot materials mentioned in Jerusalem Post, eJewishPhilanthropy, New York Jewish Week, Tablet Magazine and Israel’s Channel 1 News.
- Lawyers Line Up For Newest Refugees – New York Jewish Week on HIAS’ Pro Bono attorney training program.