If President Trump has his way, we will see a 2018 federal budget that will have a devastating impact on working-class communities around the country. Public education, environmental protection and vital social programs will be decimated. Meanwhile, the Pentagon budget will swell by tens of billions of dollars.
But there is an alternative.
Two weeks ago, more than 1,200 People’s Action members stood in front of the White House demanding a “budget for the people” at a rally that was covered by CNN. A dozen of our leaders were arrested calling on Congress to stand with our communities instead of Wall Street, Big Oil, and the billionaire class.
Now, our allies in the Congressional Progressive Caucus have introduced a “People’s Budget” that would invest in our communities. It’s a blueprint for taking our democracy back from the billionaire class and putting it into the hands of everyday people.
The People’s Budget would:
- Make sure that every child has access to quality, affordable education from preschool through college
- Invest in our transportation systems and public facilities
- Support a transition away from fossil fuels and toward good-paying green jobs
- Emphasize restorative justice over incarceration
- Demand the wealthy and corporations to pay their fair share rather than ask those with little to make do with even less
The People’s Budget represents the alternative we’re fighting for. Become a citizen co-sponsor today.
Isaiah J. Poole
Want to support our work? People’s Action builds powerful grassroots organization around the country and puts people into action for change. We are committed to fight for our shared values. Together we can create a world where we all have what we need to thrive, achieve, and feel our full worth at home, at work, and in our communities. These are unprecedented times. Let’s make history.